We know that you love cake just as much as you love coffee, so for a real treat this Easter, why not combine the two and try this delicious recipe from Simply Delicious Food.
Double coffee chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting
For the cake
- 400g caster sugar
- 275g flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons bicorbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100g melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 250ml (1 cup) Stoneleigh Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee
For the frosting
- 200g butter, room temperature
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g dark chocolate, melted, room temperature
- 2-3 tablespoons espresso
- 3x 125g packs of coffee-flavoured chocolate malt balls
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c and grease and line 2x 20cm cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. don't worry if the cakes sink a little in the center.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter until light and fluffy (around 4-5 minutes). Add the sifted cocoa powder and icing sugar then beat for another 2 minutes until combined.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour in the chocolate and mix well.
- Add the espresso, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until you have glossy buttercream.
- When the cakes are cool, carefully sliced them in half lengthwise, resulting in 4 cake layers.
- Stack the cakes with buttercream in the centre, adding the crushed chocolate malt balls between every layer.
- Finish the cake with the remaining buttercream and top with chocolate malt balls.